View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 04:52 PM   #252
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The philosophy is the peaceful settlement of disputes " of whatever nature or of whatever origin they may be." Yet after the Xindi attack there was (on screen) no attempt by Earth to peacefully communicate with the Xindi, or to send diplomats, or to possible engage the Xindi through any third parties.
And how could there be? There was no way to even know who attacked at first, then when they knew who attacked, there was no way to contact them. What did you expect to happen? That United Earth's government should just issue a general surrender to the galaxy?

Kellogg-Briand could be the governing philosophy of all nation-states on Earth, but why would it be applicable to the Romulans ...
It wouldn't, but if Earth did have a Kellogg-Briand philosophy, then they would operate by it's core principles.

The Romulans (or the Xindi) would not have to abide by the philosophy of Kellogg-Briand, Earth would. If it were their philosophy.
They only have to operate on its core principles when interacting with other signatories. A treaty isn't a philosophy.

This is why I do not think that United Earth embraces that philosophy. Because we didn't obviously see them doing it.

I'm not suggesting that the Romulan signed it, or even knew about it.

The assumption would be that if United Earth did have a K-B philosophy, their first act wouldn't be sending a armed vessel in response.
We know there's no war on Earth, and that's all a Kellogg-Briand type of treaty would need to be - a general agreement between humans that fighting amongst ourselves isn't helpful, especially when there are dangerous aliens willing to destroy all of humanity.

If all the people of Earth decided that resolving their differences through violence and war of any kind was unacceptable, and formalized their agreement on this one stance through a treaty, does that automatically make the treaty binding on extraterrestrials?
No it wouldn't, but wouldn't it be binding on Earth?
Only binding on the nation-state signatories of Earth. Again, it's a treaty, not a philosophy.

Remember, I'm not talking about signing a treaty, but instead about Earth embracing a philosophy of renouncing violence and war as a way of resolving difficulties and conflict.

Which I don't think they did.
So what is "United Earth" in your view? Another name for the United Nations? If the UE isn't a government, but a non-governmental organization, then why was there a United Earth embassy on Vulcan? Shouldn't there be an Italian embassy, an American embassy, a Brazilian embassy, etc?

Because "national interest" includes things like self defense and protection of allies.
But who is there to defend against on Earth? Is North Korea still threatening everyone with nukes in the 22nd century and beyond?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote