Thread: Looper....
View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Looper....

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Last night I finally got to see this on the movie channel.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't grab me much either. It was okay.

I found it overall depressing with it's basically dystopic future setting. In a way it was something of a western with guns everywhere and a basically nonexistent police presence. Hell what few cops we saw were basically helping the crooks do their work.

It also had strong echoes of past films, most notably Frequency and Bruce Willis' own Twelve Monkeys. It certainly doesn't displace Terminator 2 which I think is still one of the better time travel films. Frequency is another one I quite like.

I can get the future of about forty years or so not looking too much different than today, but it often seems to look cheap and dilapidated in this films. Of course it certainly saves coin in terms of production since you don't have to dress it up much.

It wasn't a bad story, but there was no fun in it either. No genuine humour or much positiveness in it.

In the end I'd rate it a C+.

I completely agree with your review. I am getting to a point where some of the real dystopian views of the future are too depressing to be entertaining. This was one of the movies where part of me wanted to just turn it off and the other part was engaged enough to see it through until the end.

It wasn't bad, the story was ok, but in the end no humor nothing really positive in the movie.