Old June 19 2013, 06:23 AM   #69
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
greenlight wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
<snip>
So you never said that only your complaints were relevant, but pointed ears are an essential part of the Romulan race, whose omission would be a glaring error worthy of mention, but deck counts are stupid and any errors I point out are insignificant details that nobody notices but me, and if somebody does notice then I'm wrong about that because you've never noticed them, and you were clearly joking about taking life too seriously, but I'm whining and I really need to chill out.

Have I missed anything?
I think most people aren't nearly so detail-oriented or detail-attentive, even among those who'd consider themselves more than just casual Trek fans. There's nothing wrong with immersing oneself in that level of detail, but it's certainly not something that the casual fan can or should be expected to be cognizant of to any great degree.

Speaking only for myself, I've been watching this stuff for a long time, and while I may notice if something is out of place or is inconsistent with the way it's been depicted previously in episode X, Y or Z, there have also been plenty of times where such an "error" completely escaped my attention until it was mentioned by another fan some time much later. As long as I'm having fun, though—as long as I'm being entertained—then it's generally not a big deal for me if every detail isn't exactly in line with the way it's been shown before. That's just part of episodic storytelling, and part of having different stories told from different perspectives - things may look a bit different from story to story, and that's perfectly all right.

Leaning back and chilling out can also be good for one's perspective; it is possible to examine a thing too closely, so that from then on it will never again look quite right, regardless of the angle from which it is viewed.
Lots of categories tend to get mixed up in these discussions as well. For instance the deck count mistake in First Contact is (I presume) an unintentional error. It seems like one that would've been easy to catch and correct, but still, just a mistake. Even Sran's hypothetical Romulan Van Gogh would be an unintentional error, an oversight by the makeup department or some such. The deck mistake in STV is a little more egregious because it was clearly intentional. At some point somebody pointed out to the writer/director/producer that the most you could look up on a single shaft on that ship was maybe 20 decks and they said "Screw that. That's not dramatic enough. Nobody cares except the fans." That seems a) dismissive and b) lazy. I don't consider the transwarp beaming an error, just a lazy plot device.

And that's sort of my point. Star Trek has been plagued by all sorts of errors from the beginning. Some unintentional. Some deliberate. Some lazy. I'd hoped that a reboot would be an opportunity to fix some things, edify some things, ignore some bad precedents. Instead it seems like they jumped in with both feet and started making all kinds of questionable decisions that made the whole universe even muddier than before. I think that makes it harder to accept the series on its own terms.

I have some friends who are diehard James Bond fans. They've seen every Star Trek movie and every episode of TOS and probably TNG and probably quite a bit of the rest of the shows but they don't really think of themselves as Trekkers. They'll sit and argue passionately for hours about all the James Bond books and movies and get all ginned up about every tiny detail but if I mention that engineering really looks like a brewery they'll start in with "It's only a movie! Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is?!" I don't really like it but I expect it from them. I don't really expect that here, on a Star Trek forum (or at least I didn't).
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote