View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 04:53 AM   #294
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Aatrek wrote: View Post
The "moneymaker" part of the Fathom events shouldn't really play into anything; I believe the profits go to some charity.
I only bring it up because everything in this world is money based.
Some of the profits certainly did go to charity, to the Red Cross, apparently. This is from the BOBW Fathom press release:

"CBS is a proud and long-standing supporter of the American Red Cross and will continue to show its support through this event. CBS will make a financial donation to support the Red Cross which shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families."

Which is a great, laudable, wonderful thing for them to do -- and not to take anything away from CBS, but it's worth mentioning that any monetary contribution to the Red Cross is fully tax-deductible (up to 10% of a corporation's taxable income for the tax year, according to the IRS). So it's definitely good for the Red Cross, and it's just as good for CBS because the optics are good and they eventually get that money back!

Of course, what the Red Cross truly needs (even more than money) is blood... and if they were to organize a blood drive to go along with the screenings, that would be really cool. But I understand that a movie theater is probably not the best environment for that -- people are probably eating a lot of fatty foods in the hours leading up to or during the screening.

The only financial data I was able to find about Fathom was that they had 90 events and made $34.2 million 2012. That's an average of $380,000 per event. Two of those events were TNG ones and something tells me they did better than the average.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1214...pt?part=single