View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 04:29 AM   #65
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Sran wrote: View Post
greenlight wrote: View Post
So if Romulans were shown without pointed ears that would be relevant to the plot and that would 'bother' you but if I complain about 78 decks, or pulling 'transwarp beaming' out of their butt to advance the plot, then I should just ignore it?
One of these is a glaring error that even casual fans would notice. The others are things only hardcore Trek fans would be aware of.

greenlight wrote:
I would've thought that the idea that internal consistency in fiction was enjoyable and satisfying (and that internal inconsistency in fiction was unsatisfying) to be pretty uncontroversial. I'm amazed that so much of the commentary boils down to "Stop thinking about it! Stop pointing it out! It's only a movie!!" This is a Star Trek forum, right? Isn't that part of what we're supposed to do?
Even a place like this has its limits. Some things just aren't worth pitching a fit about. Most people who post here know that the Enterprise-A doesn't have seventy eight decks, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy that scene. Part of the reason I like the scene is because of the error. It's funny to see something so ridiculous happen, partly because a terrific scene in the forward observation room happens moments after it.

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.

--Sran
Oh good grief. First of all, a lot of the stuff we're talking about is stuff that the casual viewer would be aware of if they're paying any kind of attention (like specifically saying there are 24 decks, and then talking about 'decks 26 through 11'. Secondly, I don't think the distinction between hard-core trek nerds and casual, disinterested observers is as strong as it used to be. Star Trek has seeped into popular culture enough that a lot of casual viewers notice discrepancies even if they're not the kind of people who go to conventions or lurk around these parts.

By your own admission, if they show a Romulan without ears, that would be a glaring omission, relevant to the plot, that everyone would notice and would bother you. Why wouldn't that be something that you'd ignore, or enjoy because of the ridiculousness of the error? I mean, hey, life's too short, right?

So to be clear: I'm not 'pitching a fit'. I'm not 'taking life too seriously'. I'm on a Star Trek thread talking about what I do and don't like about Star Trek. If everyone's complaints except yours are irrelevant, you should just state that up front.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote