View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 03:13 AM   #50
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Mandatory sci-fi

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, my group got stuck reading Lake Wobegon Days...which might have been the single most boring book that I have ever attempted to read. I say "attempted," but I really didn't even try to finish it. It was awful.
You've obviously never read anything by Alice Munro or Margaret Laurence.

Sure-fire way to get onto a Canadian best-seller list: write a 300-page novel from the point of view of a 60ish woman, living in a small town on the Prairies, reminiscing about her life just before she dies.

If you can find a way to work Mennonites into it, so much the better.

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
And if i wanted to make kids read scifi or fantasy i would most likely give them Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams to read...
I would encourage kids to read Pratchett and Adams too, but they wouldn't exactly serve the purpose of this undertaking (which is to interest kids in science). Unless you think there's a kid out there who's destined to invent the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The one sci-fi book I remember having to read was The Chrysalids by John Wyndham, which I remember being a really convoluted book, with much I didn't understand.
I read that too - in grade nine, I think. I rather enjoyed it. We also read 1984 in grade twelve - which, for me, happened to actually be in 1984.

(Yes, I'm old. Hush. )

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Oh, I love Darwin's Radio! One of my favourite books
I quite enjoyed it too, though I remember being underwhelmed by its sequel, Darwin's Children. (They're both on the shelf across from me, along with several more of Greg Bear's novels.)

I think that if I had to pick some SF novels to assign to a high school class, I would choose:

- The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner
- Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner
- The Doomsday Vault by Steven Harper
- Wake by Robert J. Sawyer
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote