View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 03:03 AM   #58
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

BillJ wrote: View Post
greenlight wrote: View Post

I agree with everything in your first paragraph. The inconsistencies didn't start with Abrams and they've always diminished my enjoyment of the franchise.
I'll be honest with you, I use to think exactly the way you did about inconsistencies in the narrative. Around the time the first Abrams film came out I was so wound up that I make some of the posters on here look downright sane.

The first time I watched the Abrams film I was furious. How dare he do what he did to Star Trek. Also around that time I was found that I simply wasn't having fun watching anymore. Watching consisted of me looking for gotcha moments that I could bitch and moan about. Canon was all consuming.

Then I did something I should've done years prior...

I went back and started watching the various series with a more critical eye and found they were guilty of the same exact offenses that Abrams film was. I also found something else, Star Trek was incredibly fun to watch again. Something it hadn't been for a very, very long time.

Canon and continuity were a weight that I had been carrying around that was preventing me from enjoying something I loved very, very much.

YMMV.
I guess the operative word is 'diminish'. When they say the 1701-E has 24 decks and then later refer to deck 26, that diminishes my enjoyment but doesn't prevent it. When they find creative ways to edify continuity, when the technobabble seems to have a little more thought behind it, and seems more plausible and consistent and convincing, that enhances my enjoyment and I'd like to nudge the powers that be in that direction.

But I agree with you that this new version is generally more entertaining than a lot of what's come before.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote