View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 02:08 AM   #52
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

BillJ wrote: View Post
greenlight wrote: View Post

Sorry, but the distinction is this: Star Trek is real within the world of Star Trek.
It really isn't and has never been. It's a vehicle for drama and drama is going to win every single time. It's why the ships in every single episode/movie move at exactly the speed the plot needs them to move.

I don't care a whit if the Enterprise is 24 decks or 78. But if they spend years showing me a 24 deck ship and then say they're on deck 78, don't criticize me for calling shenanigans on their lazy writing. When they're trading on the equity of 5 different shows and a dozen movies they have some obligations to the continuity that they themselves have established. It's their ball game. They get to make the rules. I just want them to play by those rules. That's not 'insular'.
It is insular because you want them to make dramatic decisions based on imaginary technicalities.
I don't expect them to make dramatic decisions based on imaginary technicalities. I expect them to make dramatic decisions within imaginary technicalities. Within the parameters of their fictional world. I don't want to see an F-22 in Game of Thrones without a damn good reason. I don't want to see magic on CSI without a damn good reason. And I don't want Star Trek to ignore how things work in their world just because it happens to be inconvenient to the plot this time around.

If you're honestly arguing that any movie that's set in a fictional world has no obligation to internal consistency then I really have no reply to that.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote