View Single Post
Old June 19 2013, 01:26 AM   #45
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

I think your being in the minority is a safe bet (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

A lot of the ideas that revolve around exploring the background details of Trek (the Federation, other member planet species, etc.--whatever is not focused on Kirk/Spock and the secondary characters on the ship) would seem better suited to a TV series or novels. It's not that they lack interest per se, but they would be given short shrift in 2-2.5 hours anyway and probably leave those most interested in such topics feeling frustrated. There are many aspects to Trek, but I think there is a much smaller subset of those aspects suited to a cinematic release (at least one that hopes to be reasonably profitable--money isn't everything but it does pay the bills). Just my 2 cents.

As for obligations to continuity--reboots have precious few such obligations. They are more beholden to their own internal continuity (but even that gets sacrificed to the needs of drama--as happens in movies and TV shows all the time).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote