View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 11:47 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Re: I thought they said the JJ-comics were canon?

Desert Kris wrote: View Post
I've come across so many fans on this forum and the Star Wars forums taking pride in either of these fictional universes managing to have "One definitive reality" and watched subsequent despair at the coming of a Canon Doomsday Machine in the shape of J.J. Abrams.
Even though The Clone Wars has been contradicting prior works for years -- notably the preceding Clone Wars "microseries" and the novels by that author who wrote about Mandalore a lot. Not to mention that a lot of the earlier books/comics that got grandfathered into the Expanded Universe had contradictions that had to be ignored or retconned away to allow the pretense that they "really happened" -- like the early Marvel annual with a flashback to a joint mission undertaken by three Jedi: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, and Luke's father.

For that matter, I gather that Dark Horse has recently begun publishing a comic set in between the films of the original trilogy, and I have the impression it's not bothering to stay consistent with the original Marvel comic.

Doctor Who fans have been given perfect justification for accepting all the books and audio stories that were produced between the old and the new show as being relevant with an explanation that a Time War may have done funny things with the main character's personal timeline.
Although, of course, the original series had an enormously loose continuity long before there was a Time War -- for instance, presenting three separate, incompatible versions of the fall of Atlantis. They never really bothered much with consistency on that show. What really provided a retroactive justification in the new series, more than the Time War, was the Cracks in Time storyline in Moffat's first season, which explicitly established that history could be rewritten and the events of past episodes (including some of the cataclysmic events in Russell T. Davies's episodes) erased from the universe's memory altogether.

I personally am okay with fans considering supplimentary works of fiction however they want to, and even arguing it good-naturedly. I don't care much for elitistism that dismisses things out of hand. I myself have loved DW, ST and SW novels, and been fine with the TV stories and movies that have subsequently overwritten them. I experienced them both, so they both matter to me, despite being contradictory. It's no different to me than the existence of alternative re-telling the stories of Robin Hood, King Arthur, or Superman.
Absolutely. They're all just stories meant to entertain. What a lot of people misunderstand is that the reason canon creators don't generally acknowledge tie-in works isn't because of some sort of elitist hierarchy or exclusionism (except sometimes, as with Richard Arnold), but just because it's not practical. They're busy concentrating on creating their own works, and so even when they try to keep supplemental works consistent, like with the early B5 novels or the Abramsverse comics, it generally doesn't quite work out. (I wouldn't be surprised if there were even some inconsistencies between the Defiance TV series and MMORPG, even with the close coordination that's built into them from the ground up.) It's not that the other stories are inferior or unworthy, just that it's harder for the core creators to maintain consistency in works they aren't as directly responsible for.

I was going to give the ST ongoing a try, but it's early issues were too close to the original episodes.
That doesn't last long -- pretty much just the first four issues/two storylines. Since then, it's been a mix of far more radical retellings ("Operation: Annihilate" and "The Return of the Archons") and original stories that have minor plot or thematic resonances with TOS episodes.

What really puts me off is a contradiction between different medium: the ST Ongoing comic doesn't match up with things like Kirk saying he hasn't lost anyone, but these are not justification for dropping the comic, whereas details like these are part of the justification for scrapping the publication of the original novels that were written for the J.J. Abrams continuity? Lame. I would like to read those books, which seem more interesting than the comic.
That's a common misunderstanding. The books weren't abandoned because of continuity issues. It's just that nobody really knew why they were abandoned and a lot of fans speculated that was the reason, and that speculation got repeated enough times that people started assuming it was true. But really, if it had been a continuity question, it could've been resolved relatively easily. I've never really learned or figured out what the whole reason was, but I think it was for other, more behind-the-scenes-ish business reasons.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote