View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 10:47 PM   #69
Idran
Commander

Re: I thought they said the JJ-comics were canon?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
When you put it that way, it makes the obsession over continuity seem even more silly. When you end up wasting neurons trying to keep track of the "real" fiction vs. the "fake" fiction, it's probably time to find a new hobby. Contrary to what Trek fans want to believe, both canon and non-canon Trek stories are equally fiction. There are no separate levels of fake-ness. Neither is more real than the other.
Which is why Bart Simpson is always running into Itchy, Commander Shepard teams up with Blasto, and Jack O'Neill ran a mission with Colonel Danning.

Desert Kris wrote: View Post
Idran wrote: View Post
Most all modern-origin fandoms talk about canon in the same way as the old guard fandoms, but I've rarely seen anyone worry about something being canon or not the way people do for Trek.
I've seen the discourse between fans of other fictional universes that have been very much along the lines of what Star Trek fans talk about.

I've come across so many fans on this forum and the Star Wars forums taking pride in either of these fictional universes managing to have "One definitive reality" and watched subsequent despair at the coming of a Canon Doomsday Machine in the shape of J.J. Abrams.

Doctor Who fans have been given perfect justification for accepting all the books and audio stories that were produced between the old and the new show as being relevant with an explanation that a Time War may have done funny things with the main character's personal timeline. Despite such generosity on the part of one of the TV show's producers, there are still fans who bend over backwards needlessly to diminish or change the perception how much the novels and audios should be considered to count. One author suggested that such practices as derisively calling these works "Fan Fiction" is a form of censorship-bullying.
To be fair, all of those are pre-Internet fandoms that happened to carry into the modern day. I was referring largely to post-Internet fandoms. Even in those cases, I haven't seen as much of that sort of attitude from those that came in with Abrams' Trek or New Who. Something to keep in mind, also, is that there's a big difference between worrying about what counts and asking what counts.
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote