View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 10:15 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Re: Is TAS worth watching in my complete Star Trek marathon?

mos6507 wrote: View Post
The problem with TAS is that the animation quality itself is poor. Only the rotoscoped shots (like the enterprise) have any sense of movement to them. The animated lips on static bodies was standard fare at the time, but ever since Gummi Bears (Disney) and Batman:TAS (WB) the bar was raised much higher for television animation.
Yeah, and the effects on TOS weren't as good as modern effects. And The Twilight Zone was in black and white. So? Every show is a product of the time it's made in.

Also, the music is so repetitive and the tracking so arbitrary that it sometimes comes across like the jukeboxing in Our Gang.
Again, this is nothing that wasn't standard for its era.

What I'd like to see is to exhube the original voiceovers and do a total redo in CG with a brand new score. Then the decent writing underneath it all would shine better, although you'd still be stuck with the ultra-short runtime.
And while we're at it, let's take down all the old paintings in museums and replace them with photographs and CG animations. Let's forget there's such a thing as history and pretend the world was created ten years ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote