View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 10:13 PM   #346
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
May I ask a question? Why should they pander to anybody?
How do you think people first reacted to the casting in TOS? Gene certainly wanted to see both gender and racial diversity in TOS, and it did make a positive cultural impact to see that. Was that merely "pandering" or making a statement? Why do so many Trek fans now put a negative slant on this sort of thing?

Was Avery Brooks not "pandering"? Was Kate Mulgrew not "pandering"? Diversity is baked into the DNA of Trek.
You have it backwards. I don't care if a version of Trek is perfectly gender and racially balanced in its casting. If that's what the people making that version want--excellent. I will reserve the right to like it or not but I will NOT feel entitled to satisfaction on my terms. What I object to (and I presume this applies to at least a few others) is the idea that because it is Star Trek, it should automatically satisfy The Committee for the Way Things Ought to Be (patent pending ). NO artistic endeavour should do so out of a sense of duty or obligation. It should only do so if that is what the artist wants.