View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 09:55 PM   #69
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Why a reboot was necessary (IMHO)

throwback wrote: View Post
Belz,

I am flattered that you thought to include some of what I had written back on page 2.
That was a few days ago. Page number doesn't matter. It's not like it's a three year-old post. Anyway, you're welcome.

However, I have a question. Did you read my complete post, or did you latch onto the first sentence and ignore the rest?
No, I read it. Why ?

I do not find fault with people rebooting a franchise. I have come to accept that this is the normal in today's Hollywood.
I have come to accept it, also. I understand why it's sometimes necessary, though often I think they are overdoing it. There's no arguing with the financial success of the strategy, however.

My issue is with how it was done for Star Trek: Into Darkness. This issue is shared by others, so I am not alone in my opinion.
My issue was not with your opinion that this bothers you, but that it somehow tears down the reboot argument. Trek wasn't rebooted because they ran out of ideas and had to reboot, because then they'd still be out of ideas (and I'm sure many could make the argument that they actually are.) Star Trek was rebooted to make it more accessible to new viewers. Re-using old villains, mirroring scenes or plots from old movies or shows, etc. does not work against this idea.

These films, however, went different directions with the history and depiction of the Joker. They were successful films for their day.
I believe we can say that Into Darkness did something very different with the few elements it re-used. It's my opinion that people are taking what is an admittedly important but short moment of the film and blowing it out of proportion.

More importantly for our discussion, the director and writers of The Dark Knight didn't feel the need to lift whole scenes from the first film, so that they could alter them to meet the demands of the new film.
They could have, though. That they didn't was a choice, not an indication that doing so was a bad idea.