View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Did Ron Moore get the Klingons / Romulans the wrong way round in T

Timo wrote: View Post
I have no idea where this "Romulans are honorable" thing comes from. In all their TOS appearances, they were deceitful, backstabbing, cowardly murderers who performed sneak attacks from under a cloak of invisibility and failed to listen to reason!
Backstabbing in what way, exactly? They had no peace treaty with the Federation. Only a tentative armistice signed at the end of the Earth-Romulan War kept both sides from engaging in further conflict. It's hard to know the motives of the Romulan crew in "Balace of Terror," but their Commander was an honorable man who genuinely cared for his crew and learned to respect Kirk during the incident.

Timo wrote:
After the nameless Romulan commander in "Balance of Terror" admires Kirk as an opponent, he tries to blow him out of the sky with a hidden IED. After the Klingon commander who readily identifies himself to Kirk in "Errand of Mercy" admires Kirk as an opponent, he pardons him from immediate execution, and subsequently challenges him to a hand-to-hand fight!
Different methods for different societies. The Romulan Commander had no choice but to destroy the Enterprise before Kirk destroyed his vessel. Recall that he attempted to return to the Neutral Zone without a confrontation but was forced to fight once he realized that Kirk could track his movements.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
As for the Romulans, well. I just wish the number one treatment of them didn't solely rely on them acting like complete, close minded jerks.
I do, too. I blame this on poor writing and a lack of effort put into developing Romulan characters. Tomalak was as one-dimensional a personality as I've ever seen, always threatening to destroy the Enterprise and wage war against the Federation. His colleagues in the Empire weren't much better, save for select individuals like Jarok, Cretak, or Donatra.

--Sran