Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Would you use a transporter?

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post

So basically you want a Portal Gun.
Ummm.... who doesn't?
WOuldn't a Portal Gun violate the laws of physics, even if we had wormhole technology? I mean, let's say we had a moon a light minute away. I fire a portal at the wall next to me, and a portal at the moon.

Now, at the end of Portal 2, we saw that the portal you fire takes time to travel to its destination, because it took about a second to travel to the moon. That's fine and as it should be. But when you step into a Portal, you are instantly coming out the other side. Doesn't this violate the "nothing can travel instantaneously" thing? If the moon is a lighht minute away, then it will take the Portal a minute to reach the moon once you fire it. But then, when you step into the other portal on the wall next to you, shouldn't it also take a minute before you come out the other side?
That's the point of a Wormhole. That's what a wormhole IS, a means to travel instantly from one side to the other while outside of conventional space.

Otherwise, for example, every other episode of Deep Space 9 would take 70 years to broadcast.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote