View Single Post
Old June 18 2013, 12:46 AM   #13
Sran
Commodore

Re: Federation vs The Dominiom: The Rematch.

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I don't think i'm missing any point. Winning is winning. Let's not forget both Starfleet command and the Federation Council voted AGAINST giving the Founders the cure for the morphogenic virus. They were content to ride it out and hope for a speedy end to this war. War is ugly and the Federation were losing it. While biological warfare is the lowest point you can stoop to. Drone warfare is not. It relieves the stress of combat for humanoid soldiers. Even today it's seen as a tactical advantage over send troops in to die.
Well, you're wrong, because you absolutely are missing my point. I'm not arguing that it's not a tactical advantage to conserve manpower, nor am I pointing out that drone warfare is comparable to biological warfare. My point is that it's wrong to treat holograms or androids as though they're disposable commodities simply because they can be replaced.

Recall Picard's argument in "The Measure of a Man" when he spoke of a hypothetical future in which every ship in the Federation would have a android like Data aboard. What did he compare the treatment of these androids to? Slavery. Are you seriously arguing that it's acceptable to use holograms or androids in such a matter because it's convenient? Yes, the Federation was in danger of losing the war with the Dominion, but what good would have come from winning the war if they'd sacrificed every Starfleet principle for the sake of victory?

Believe it or not, there are some things more important than wins and losses. Saving a civilization isn't merely a matter of saving the people who make it up but a matter of also protecting the essence of what that civilization represents. If the Federation were to start using holograms or androids to fight their wars, they'd be throwing their own rulebook out the window. Not exactly the best way to protect the values their government represents.

--Sran