View Single Post
Old June 17 2013, 08:57 PM   #334
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

marillion wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
That goes back to a core concept of the genre that Supes started in 1938...super-heroes are vigilantes, they operate outside the law. You can't sue somebody when you don't know who to sue.
He may have started the genre, but he did not fit that stereotype. He was a paragon of virtue, standing for truth, justice and the American way.
Very true...
You guys have obviously never read the earliest Seigel/Shuster stories. Go pick up a reprint volume of Action Comics and/or Superman from the 1938-1941 era. He was very much a lawless vigilante in those days, who fought for social justice, was usually at odds with the authorities, and was fairly cavalier about the lives of criminals (occasionally throwing them out windows or into the paths of their own bullets).

He was every bit the vigilante as Batman or most other super-heroes that followed in their wake in those days. John Byrne knows this...when he had the 1939 versions of Superman and Batman meet in his Generations Elseworlds story, Batman is interrogating a criminal on top of the Perisphere at the World's Fair, and lets the thug fall. Superman comes upon the scene and catches him. Batman says, "If I'd known you were going to catch him, I wouldn't have let him fall." Superman responds, "If I'd known you'd let him fall, I wouldn't have caught him."
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote