View Single Post
Old June 17 2013, 08:46 PM   #332
Vice Admiral
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Captrek wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
After the show, however, I couldn't help thinking to myself... In our litigeous society, Supes is going to be facing piles of legal trouble with all the death and damage he caused... Doesn't matter if he was saving the world in the process, you know there would be lawsuits...
That goes back to a core concept of the genre that Supes started in 1938...super-heroes are vigilantes, they operate outside the law. You can't sue somebody when you don't know who to sue.
He may have started the genre, but he did not fit that stereotype. He was a paragon of virtue, standing for truth, justice and the American way.
Very true...

While the "don't know who to sue" issue may work when it comes to 99.9% of the Metropolis residents, you know the people of Smallville know who he is.. Or at least some of them do, and you know that loose lips sink ships.. It goes back to the post about if Lois Lane can do some digging and find out who he is, you know there will be a lot of other people doing the same... It wouldn't be long before someone in Smallville talks, especially when you consider how much destruction/death he caused (or was the inadvertant cause of) there...

I realize i'm speaking in real world terms here, about a fantasy world, but when you consider the billions, if not trillions of dollars in damaged caused to the city of Metropolis, not to mention the thousands of deaths, I don't see how Superman could come out of this as the good guy..

Yes, he acted to protect the world, but he was the reason the bad guys were there in the first place...

I know, I know... Just watch and enjoy the movie... Which I did.. I just can't help but be devil's advocate in looking at this..
Find a new way of life -
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote