View Single Post
Old June 17 2013, 05:07 AM   #45
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Why a reboot was necessary (IMHO)

mos6507 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Yeah, it passed from "homage" (Keeping Khan is enough of an homage) to rip off then.
Rip off or not, I really enjoyed the "Into Darkness" take on the scene. Actually, I think the "Into Darkness" was the more emotionally resonant one.

Whether they ripped it off or not, they played it pitch perfect.
It's phoney emotionalism. The only reason it works is because people play back the scene from Khan in their heads. It doesn't stand on its own, nor does it suit a story of two glorified cadets who have barely really gotten to bond.
Really? So the people I've talked to who've never seen WOK (yes, there are quite a number of such people--many of whom have seen the latest Trek film) who found the scene compelling--they're what, lying? The scene may not work for you, but you are hardly the arbiter of what works for everyone else.

As for "barely really gotten to bond", how the hell would you know? I "bonded" with my two best friends within weeks of meeting them--to the point where I would have sacrificed just about anything for either of them then (more so today). Kirk and Spock have been "out there" well more than a few weeks and have experienced any number of "bonding moments" to which you are not privy. Who are you to decide how well they've "bonded"? You can decide you don't find it is compellingly portrayed, of course, but your attempt at arbitrarily fixing the amount of time necessary to bond is rather flimsy.

The first time I watched the movie, I hated it. Hated, hated it. Totally took me out of the moment.

The second time I saw that it did fit in the context of the movie and actually worked quite well as a scene, but any emotional impact had long since been trampled into the ground...
This is the stockholm syndrome at work. It's the sort of thing people who are uber-fans of bands say when they buy a so-so album, but don't want to admit to themselves that it's so-so. They play it over and over again until they will-themselves into liking it.

If something is good, it's gonna seem good the very first time around.
Again, perhaps that's true for you. It certainly isn't true for everyone. First time I tasted single malt whisky, I hated it. I now have 23 (at last count) different types in my liquor cabinet. Found my first Guinness revolting. It is now among my favourite beers. Hated REM's music when I first heard it. Now among my favourite bands. Couldn't stand bluegrass music when I first heard it. My collection of bluegrass albums now numbers in the dozens. I could provide more examples if you wish.
Ovation is online now   Reply With Quote