View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 04:59 PM   #37
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: Does Data have a soul?

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
RACIST!!!

So Vulcans are primitive and backward? And you would think more than any other race they would be atheists.
Do Vulcans believe in afterlives and gods or simply have a religion?

This is something Western readers occasionally have difficulty with but there's plenty of RL religions without afterlives and/or deities. Which, for me, was difficult to wrap my head around but their adherents would object to if you called them philosophies.

But yes, pause a second, Star Trek is a setting with psychic powers and katras. It's not "hard science" by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm only speaking of souls. The Klingons, Bajorans, Ferengi, and Vulcans all seem to believe in them. That's just off the top of my head. I don't know if any other major species seem too.

As Orwellian/Stalinist as the Cardassians are, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest were a future episode to have them shown to have wiped out religion in an 'enlightened way'.

edit: Back to Vulcans. That's something I never understood about ST:III. Was there some 'Well of Souls' they wanted to bring Spock to so he could reincarnate? Something they could put him in so they could communicate with him? Sarek seemed to think it was a pretty big ****ing deal.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote