View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 04:55 PM   #60
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
What is Xbox One doing with DRM that Steam (the only choice for playing most major games on PC nowadays thanks to Steamworks) isn't already doing as restrictive or more so?
Steam has an offline mode, the Xbox One effectively doesn't. The Xbox One is also region-locked and apparently will not function outside of the 21 countries supported at launch. This is particularly absurd in Europe where only 12 EU states are supported, so a Portuguese person could drive into Spain, purchase an XBO and some games, drive back to Portugal, and be unable to play any of those games because they can't activate them.

Some of the stuff on the XBO sounds like an improvement over the likes of Steam, particularly the family sharing stuff, but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on that. MS have been so vague on how that would work that it's hard not to conclude that there's some major restrictions that will go along with that, or they're still trying to figure out how to implement it themselves. Either way, I would like the ability to share my Steam library somehow, so I hope Value get pressured into doing something like that.
I hear Valve have been working on a trade-in system for Steam, where effectively you give up a license to a game for a discount or gift your license to someone else. Haven't heard anything about it in a while though. Right now it seems you can only trade if you have more than one copy of a game.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote