View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 03:02 PM   #47
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

tighr wrote: View Post
I think far more likely, though, will be the emergence of boutique theaters. People will pay more to sit in a nice theater with leather seats, dinner, drinks, etc... A place where "no cell phones" is actually enforced, and where you can get an experience unparalleled from home. I have a 124" projector screen in my living room, so I only go to the theater to see films that are truly worth the theatrical experience these days. Everything else can wait for BD, where I can pause my movie to go refill my wine/beer or flip over my steak on the grill.
I don't know how common they were elsewhere, or if any are still around, but 20-30 years ago, a town I lived in had a couple of "cinema and brew"-type theaters, where the seating was more like a bar and you could order short order food (like chicken strips and french fries) and drinks (including alcoholic ones) from your table. I liked it.

It didn't necessarily come with improved patron behavior, though. I distinctly remember an occasion when I saw STVI in one of these establishments....During the mind-meld interrogation of Valeris, a customer shouted out, "F**K HER, SPOCK!"
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote