View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 02:57 PM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Re: Is TAS worth watching in my complete Star Trek marathon?

R. Star wrote: View Post
The rest for the most part... well it's a typical 70's cartoon. You have the cast bumbling into silly situations and getting out of them.
Hardly. It may have been aired in a Saturday morning slot, and thus needed to tone down the sex and violence, but otherwise the writers' approach was to tell the same kinds of stories they told in TOS, just without the budgetary and technical restrictions on sets, locations, alien designs, and the like. It was a lot more serious and adult-oriented than "a typical '70s cartoon." Heck, the whole reason Roddenberry went with Filmation is because they were the only studio that didn't want to turn it into a typical cartoon, that wanted to faithfully recreate the original show's tone and format.

Lance wrote: View Post
I must admit, I was surprised on a recent watch of Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman how often, beyond Adam West and Burt Ward reprising their roles, it reminded me of the 1960s Batman live-action series in both it's look and it's tone. Whatever the merits or otherwise of Batmite as an addition to the cast, it was clear (as they had done with Star Trek: TAS) that somebody at the studio had sat down and said, "You know, let's go for it, let's try and be as faithful as possible to the original show". Hanna Barbara famously had an opposing Batman and Robin team up as part of Superfriends on another (bat)channel, but Filmation's version somehow feels more like a continuation of the 1960s series.
To an extent, yes, although they had to leave out the fistfights and deathtraps. They definitely did borrow a lot from the '66 show -- the Batpoles, the Batphone (though why it was hidden inside a barrel was never clear), Robin's Holy-isms, a somewhat Newmaresque Catwoman, etc. And they kept Batgirl as a regular, following the lead of the live-action show's third season, although they changed her from a librarian to an assistant DA (although they never did anything with that concept; it was just to give her an excuse to hang around in her father's office). It didn't really draw on the '66 show visually, though; its Gotham City, Batcave, police HQ, and so forth looked very different stylistically, and Bruce/Batman looked more like Neal Adams's comics art than like Adam West.

And have you noticed that He-Man's Orko is pretty much exactly the same character as The New Adventures of Batman's Bat-Mite, right down to the voice? Maybe that's why they never showed us Orko's face -- because it was really Bat-Mite under that hat and scarf.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote