View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 01:15 PM   #60
BirdInJetstream
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Why Kathryn Janeway is the BEST Star Fleet Captain... EVER!

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Q: Where's your stubbornness now, Picard, your arrogance? Do you still profess to be prepared for what awaits you?
WORF: The Borg ship is re-establishing its tractor beam.
RIKER: Lock on photon torpedoes.
WORF: Yes, sir.
DATA: Without our shields, at this range there is a high degree of probability that a photon detonation could destroy the Enterprise.
RIKER: Prepare to fire.
(Q swaps places with Data)
Q: I'll be leaving now. You thought you could handle it, so handle it.
PICARD: Q. End this.
Q: Moi? What makes you think I am either inclined or capable to terminate this encounter?
PICARD: If we all die, here, now, you will not be able to gloat. You wanted to frighten us. We're frightened. You wanted to show us that we were inadequate. For the moment, I grant that. You wanted me to say I need you. I need you!
(With a snap of Q's fingers, the Enterprise goes whirling through space again)

Her ship is thrown 75,000 light years away from home, and she doesn't need Q to get her back, much less save her from the BORG!

Comparing the "early" Picard and Janeway in their respective first seasons - I agree. Although I think that the late Captain Picard is a better Captain compared to Janeway. Simply because Janeway developed into sort of a "head-through-the-wall", bottomlessly deep and somewhat isolated being, who was eaten up by her guilt, while Picard became more human than he was at start. I don't complain about the development of Janeway's character. It was not without alternatives, but it was a logical thing to happen, considering her original persona (and if anything it attracted me even more to her). But I do not think this development made her a better captain.