View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 02:23 AM   #262
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Yeah I've already said I give Amanda a pass because she represents more than 'just' Spock's mother. I meant in terms of numbers parental characters cancel each other out because they come in pairs.
"Numbers" means jack in this context. Between the two of Spock's parents, Amanda is the more prominent character; her influence guides Spock's career, her death is a galvanizing moment in Spock's character development, and the desire to avenge her death is the catalyst for Spock's friendship with Kirk.

Sarek is almost ancillary to this development; you could have replaced him with Sybok and nobody would have noticed.

I can think of many ways that Rand could contribute and not one of them is asking the Captain to look at her legs.
So have Rand be the one who walks past Kirk and mutters "We have a bulkhead breach" without looking at him. Make that her only line in the movie, blink-and-you'll-miss-it, instantly forgettable.

But if that's what you're going to do with Crewman Rand, what is the point of making it Crewman Rand? If you're going to invent an actual named character with depth and background, you need to USE that character in a meaningful way. Otherwise it's just a supernumerary with a funny back story.

I don't think they'd have ANY difficulty filling the numbers if the parts were there.
Considering we're talking about extras, the parts are there. Casting directors generally do not care who fills in the background spaces and do not specifically aim for a set ratio of men to women.

I was surprised at the number of women who attend Star Trek conventions...
I was not, considering the conventions had considerably less than a 50/50 ratio.

And btw you might not want to ever repeat any of that stuff to a woman. I think they might be insulted at the suggestion that they stick to 'women's issues'.
When women stop complaining to me about how acting is a male-dominated profession, I'll stop repeating it.