View Single Post
Old June 16 2013, 12:10 AM   #256
Locutus of Bored
The Mod Awakens

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I'm still disturbed by Riker vaporizing Yuta in The Vengeance Factor instead of taking one of the numerous non-lethal options available to him (like say, beaming up her intended target --Fat Road Warrior-- instead of Riker beaming down).
That was a split-second decision of saving the life of one of the leaders of a planet that's a Federation member from being murdered in cold blood, who was probably going to die after she'd accomplished said murder. Nothing sexist about it at all, from my POV.
Nor from mine, which you'd know if you hadn't deleted the very next sentence in the post where I mentioned that what troubled me about the scene had nothing to do with her being a woman.

Franklin wrote: View Post
It's purely moot, but I guess what I wonder is if the writers would have been wary of a negative audience reaction to having Khan kill a female Admiral Marcus with his bare hands. As a character, I think Khan was despicable enough to actually do it, but the feeling on this board is that it would've been distrubing to the audience, and I agree. But that begs a question. If Adm. Marcus had been cast as a woman, how differently would that bridge scene between Khan and Marcus need to be played out?
Since they didn't show it actually happening and just showed the reaction shot from Carol, it's possible they might have left it as is. The various CSIs and NCISs and other examining the evidence type procedurals don't seem to shy away from showing the gruesome aftermath of murders against men or women any more, and movies haven't hesitated to show a villain actually breaking a woman's neck (the scene that popped into my head was John Malkovich in In the Line of Fire), though they are a little less quick to explicitly show the whole bullet through the forehead thing than they are with male characters. They'll show the aftermath from the less gruesome entry point view, but it's still fairly rare to show it actually happening.

Yeesh, that post went to a morbid place, didn't it?
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; June 16 2013 at 12:25 AM.