View Single Post
Old June 15 2013, 06:42 PM   #276
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Cyrus wrote: View Post
It's interesting to read the mostly positive comments about Dwayne Johnson. When he appeared on the VOY episode most trek fans on this site were outraged, saying a wrestler had no business being in a trek episode and it was nothing but UPN promoting their wrestling show.

I was one of the few people who supported him, pointing out that he already had acting experience since he was a WWE wrestler. Also he was playing a wrestler type athelte on the show and not some scientist. He was good in it and it was a decent and entertaining episode but got bashed by VOY fans.
Wasn't the main complaint from fans not against Johnson specifically so much as that the episode was shameless cross-promotion for wrestling on the UPN network? It's like when they try and awkwardly shoehorn characters from a new series into an established one or spend an entire season blatantly incorporating Degree Antiperspirant into the narrative of each episode (I'm looking at you, Eureka).

As far as those types of things go, I agree that it was actually an okay episode, but I could see why it would bug some people.