View Single Post
Old June 15 2013, 04:12 AM   #54
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Sran wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Extremely presumptuous of you to assume anything about my life experience.

I think Brooks did a terrible job in that scene and plenty of other people agree. You're not going to change anyone's mind by being condescending.
They're hardly being condescending, Mr. Homn. They're merely sharing an assessment arrived at through life experience. Anyone who's seen another person suffer an emotional breakdown of the kind Benny Russell had knows that Avery Brooks' acting was spot-on. That's not to say Brooks didn't have his "over-the-top" moments. He most certainly did; however, that scene wasn't one of them.

You're welcome to believe what you wish. I won't presume to know anything about your life experiences. I would caution you, however, that assuming you're right simply because other people agree with you isn't the best perspective to have.

--Sran
Condescending perhaps wasn't the best word to use (in the interest of avoiding an argument), which is why I edited it out a minute later and rephrased my thoughts.

I do however think it's condescending to say or imply "anyone who doesn't like this performance just doesn't have enough life experience" . It's a completely ridiculous thing to say.

That's not "merely sharing an assessment arrived at through life experience".

If they said "I feel this is an accurate portrayal based on my experience" that would be one thing. It's a completely different thing to say or imply that if you don't agree with them then you just haven't had enough life experience or you don't know what you are talking about.