View Single Post
Old June 15 2013, 01:29 AM   #137
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

An enjoyable movie that gets my stamp of approval, but really that's it. It's not bad, but it's not really "holy shit, that was awesome!!!111oneone". There's a decent storyline, hitting all the generic notes about finding your place in life and all that usual stuff. Some great action scenes which are at times really badass and some really cool stuff involving soldiers and fighter jets. It makes for a fun afternoon at the movies, but it's not really particularly memorable or noteworthy. The non-linear story with all the flashbacks took some getting used to. It's not a format I'm opposed to, but the way it's handled isn't among my favourite storytelling methods either.

Strangely enough, I found myself being distracted by really silly and trivial issues. Like just how much money are they going to have to sink to repair all that damage? All those buildings, a decent portion of a city completely wiped out isn't going to be cheap to fix. At the end, the General gets pissed at Superman for taking out that surveillance drone that costs twelve million. A building several storeys tall collapses, that ain't going to be cheap to fix.

And yeah, I usually don't mind shaky cam, but damn this movie wore it out completely. Honestly, I have trouble believing they hired a cameraman who knows how to hold a camera. And lens flares, I am so sick of lens flares, and guess what this movie has an abundance of? It's not quite as bad as the Abrams Trek movies, but it's still pretty bad.

Last edited by The Wormhole; June 15 2013 at 02:06 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote