View Single Post
Old June 14 2013, 09:32 PM   #105
Gojira
Commodore

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Phily B wrote: View Post

Pretty much, it doesn't really have that factor which elevates though like Iron Man or Batman. It's just action schlock, Batman Begins wasn't a great movie because Batman beat up Liam Neeson and some thugs, it was a tiny part of the movie. It was a great new origin story we hadn't seen on film, beautifully crafted and shot, while being a deep focus on the character and motivation of Bruce Wayne.

This movie just seems to rely entirely on the action scenes, apart from that, the only scene I really connected with emotionally was the scenes with his Mom when he returns home. Pa Kent was kinda a dick and a dumbass. Just very disappointed overall, and I went in with no expectations.
It still sounds like something I will enjoy. I am all for mindless action and escapism in movies.

I am going to say something that may shock people. I think the whole "Character development and Character motivation" in films is overrated.

As a mental health therapist many times people act in ways without knowing or showing their motivation. A lot of times people do not change a lot (a lot of therapy is dealing with acceptance of the self as they are). I digress. So I do not look at movies always looking for Character development or motivation. If a movie has it, fine, but it is not essential to my enjoyment of a movie.