View Single Post
Old June 14 2013, 07:40 PM   #162
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I have a lot of problems with the scene in Star Trek 09 because Kirk is just ridiculously, cartoonishly cocky in it.

Having him munch on an apple, barely pay attention and do "funny" gun signs was too much for me. That just isn't my Kirk.
That's EXACTLY your Kirk, you just don't want to admit it because you guys have a hard on about ST09.

It's like you haven't even seen the Genesis Cave scene. Kirk is extremely cocky, munching on an apple, looking around to see how impressed people are with his story, exaggeratedly flipping out his communicator and saying "well, alllllllright!."

Let also not forget that Kirk was allowing his companions to think that they were stranded there when he knew they would be beaming up shortly. Why? He wasn't obeying coded communications protocols then. Obviously the real world reason was to keep it secret from the audience, but that doesn't change the in-universe implication.

Then there's also the fact that Kirk (and Spock) keep rubbing Saavik's nose in the fact that she's a by-the-book stick in the mud, which is particularly egregious considering if they had just listened to her earlier and raised shields the Reliant wouldn't have gotten the drop on the Enterprise in the first place.

I love TWoK, it's my favorite Trek movie, but Kirk was totally full of himself and showing off in parts, so to say that kind of behavior is "not your Kirk" and was made up for nuKirk is just baffling to me.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote