Old June 14 2013, 03:17 PM   #487
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

scotpens wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Another thing that irritates me about TNG is synthehol and the almost sneery attitude that people have to alcohol.
If you came from a family of abusive alcoholics, you would find TNG's "sneery" attitude quite correct. Despite the fact that their attitude wasn't "sneery" at all.
No disrespect intended, but if you came from a family of abusive alcoholics and it was 1920, you probably would have thought the Eighteenth Amendment was a wonderful idea. It wasn't.
I did, and you're right about the eighteenth amendment. but put yourself in place place. If you were a disabled man (I am) and were beaten by a drunken brother (I was), you wouldn't want booze around you either. It's one of the reasons I don't drink and never will.

Of course, my brother (and other drunken relatives) also abused me verbally, but despite the fact that that was a hell of alot easier to defend against, it hurt just as much.

No, I understand that there are people who can handle alcohol and that's fine, but with my personal experience, I don't want it around me, and think that Synthehol would be a good thing (if it actually existed, that is).
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote