View Single Post
Old June 14 2013, 02:40 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Sran wrote: View Post
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on this point. What I meant is that even though we've learned a great deal about outer space, there are many things we still don't know. For all the planets- be they actual or theoretical- that have been charted, we still don't know if any of them support life of a sophistication comparable to our own. That's what I meant in stating that our knowledge is limited.
Which has nothing to do with the point actually under discussion, which was whether it would be possible simply to detect how many planets there were in a star system. We absolutely do know enough to assess the likelihood of that, because it's something we can already do right now.

Who says they don't? That doesn't mean simpler codes can't be used. And Khan was hardly the only person fooled. Saavik realized Kirk and Spock were speaking in code only after Kirk cited the regulation pertaining to open-channel communication, the same Saavik who made a point to quote every rule in the book earlier in the film. If a Starfleet cadet can miss the obvious, why not a deranged psychopath?
The problem with that argument is that you're talking as though it's something that really happened and needs to be rationalized. But it didn't really happen. It's a scenario that Harve Bennett, Nicholas Meyer, and/or Jack B. Sowards made up when they were writing a movie script. And it wasn't a very good or plausible scenario. The writers could've done better, come up with something less lame. That's what I'm saying -- about this and quite a few other things.

I'd be interested in knowing how you'd have written TWOK differently. I don't mind setting aside a few hours to read your explanation.
But I can't spare those hours to figure it out, since I'm busy writing something else that I'm actually getting paid for. In fact, I'm wasting too much time on this discussion as it is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote