View Single Post
Old June 14 2013, 02:29 PM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Why a reboot was necessary (IMHO)

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Personally, I would have done a full on reboot. No messing about.

None of this alternate universe stuff. I mean, it virtually is a full reboot - they just won't say it out loud.
Pretty much how I feel. Yes, Trek needed to be rebooted to be commercially viable, but instead of doing a clean reboot they're still clinging to the Prime Universe by thin threads with all this alternate timeline stuff and Nimoy Spock who has taken a solemn vow never to discuss his timeline, unless someone's asking. Then he'll make an exception just this once.

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
I definitely think that a reboot was a good idea. The biggest problem with old-trek was that it had become too formulaic, riddled with technobabble and cliched. With JJ-trek, we got a show that is exciting and fun again and feels fresh.
Abrams Trek is still clichéd. Hell, all Abrams and his writing lackeys do is string together a bunch of tropes and call it a day. They just do it in an energetic and "exciting" way.

And while technobabble was undeniably one of Prime Trek's downfalls, the Abrams series is taking it in the opposite direction of being completely scientific illiterate. Okay, so Star Trek has never been once for scientific accuracy, and if I'm completely honest I prefer sci-fi which isn't slavish to pure science. But still, "Aft nacelle" sounds sloppy and unprofessional. "Lightning storm in space" sounds like something out of a child's storybook.