View Single Post
Old June 14 2013, 03:42 AM   #18
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Stargate Universe Rewatch: Now with teacake

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

You're right, that scene was left out of the broadcast version and inserted in the extended version. Other new scenes are Rush explaining the Lucian Alliance to Eli, which includes Rush speculating that someone among Icarus personnel was spying for the Alliance and another scene actually showing Rush's conversation with O'Neill when he used the stones to make contact after arrival on Destiny. The broadcast version just shows Rush swapping into Dr Lee's body.
I really don't get why they reinserted the scene with Rush and O'Neill. It undermines one of the few bits of real ambiguity the show had, plus it makes the character look like an idiot as part of the show's bizarre need to piss on the smart people for some reason.
I thought it gave an interesting look into the kind of person Rush is. In the broadcast version, all we have is him claiming O'Neill put him in charge and everyone (including the audience) has to take him at his word. In this version, we find out that O'Neill actually made some offhand comment like "you got them into this mess, it's up to you to get them out," which Rush apparently chose to interpret as O'Neill placing him in charge. I preferred this angle on the character instead of the "Rush is a shady bastard" view the series was always trying to push down our throats.
That IS interesting because I think we see Rush do that in other conversations. His arrogance and assumptions contributes to his poor communication skills.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne