View Single Post
Old June 14 2013, 03:34 AM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
What I'm really curious about is, what did MS's market research tell them? Honestly, I want to know, because they've made every conceivable mistake to piss off gamers, and they only seem to be digging themselves into a hole each time they speak.
Their marketing chief, Yusuf Mehdi, explained their thinking in this article:

I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.
So it seems like their marketing research told them that the hardcore gamers wouldn't like it but most consumers wouldn't bother to find out about the DRM before buying, so they decided to go for it. They may be right about that, consumers can be pretty stupid. But their mass cancelling of press interviews at E3 indicates that the backlash was larger than they expected and they're struggling to overcome the bad PR.
I think what they'll likely learn, the hard way, is that customers aren't as stupid as they think they are. In a way, what they've done has really made people stand up and notice to what's being done, not just with the XBox, but in DRM in general. So, if there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that. Their tactics don't seem quite sound.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote