View Single Post
Old June 13 2013, 10:59 PM   #142
CrazyHorse89
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

BillJ wrote: View Post
CrazyHorse89 wrote: View Post
But none of us are saying that people who don't give a flying-giraffe about the gender balance in Star Trek or Alice Eve's underwear shouldn't be able to express their annoyance, bemusement, or opposition to those who do.

I think that this is an important issue, and for many women it's symptomatic of a wider one which they don't have the luxury of being able to ignore. In my opinion, the 'gendered construction' of Star Trek hasn't been done to death: at least not any more than the Box Office results, Khan, or the effects of salt water on a fictional starship.
It's been a running theme on this board for the decade plus I've been here.

Personally, once your buying tickets to the movie, buying comic books, toys, soundtracks... you're a hypocrite. Because your sending a message with your money that what your seeing is acceptable.
I don't see it that way at all, as I've previously said. The society we live in is patriarchal, capitalistic, ethnically white, and materialistic. Naturally, our culture is an expression of all these modes of organisation. Everybody has to compromise with the world that they live in. I think Star Trek is a damned fine thing to compromise on in a way that, say, Piranha 3D isn't.