View Single Post
Old June 13 2013, 01:17 AM   #124
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

ATimson wrote: View Post
DCR wrote: View Post
For me, the casting was for the most part good, but not perfect. I liked Karl Urban the most, and Simon Pegg the least.
I used to agree with you; however, the more I thought about it, the more I think my problems with Scotty lay with the script and not with Simon Pegg. Into Darkness only furthered that theory, since I liked his role there.
You may have a very good point there (I haven't seen Into Darkness yet, so I can't comment on it). However, whether it's the script or the performance that's the underlying cause, and I'm perfectly willing to believe it's the script, I still have to say that I did not enjoy the interpretation of Scotty I saw in the 2009 film.

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
To the creator of this thread:

Thank you.

Thank you for not saying racist and sexist things about nuUhura.

Thank you for not calling me a "moron".

Thank you for not calling me "not a true fan".

Thank you for not saying I've "never watched Star Trek".

Thank you for not complaining that physical models should be used instead of cgi models.

Thank you for not making stuff up.

Thank you.

I want a parachuting Spock.
I think we all want a parachuting Spock.

And you're absolutely right, there are more than enough real things to like or dislike about the 2009 reboot that no one should have to resort to making stuff up.

I guess it's a side-effect of the idea that everything has to be justified. I don't get it, why can't people either like or dislike things just because they don't appeal to them? There's nothing wrong with saying that you don't care for something without making any judgments of its quality.