View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 09:59 PM   #19
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Was the U.S.S. Horatio an Ambassador Variant?

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
And I never figured Ambassadors to be created in huge numbers to begin with. I like to think, based on the background, that these ships were the Galaxy-class of their time: the biggest and the best Starfleet could muster, for the big long exploration missions that made us proud. There wouldn't be more than a dozen like her in the fleet, like the Constitution or Galaxy (initially anyway) of their days.
While I suppose that's an ok in-universe explanation, it doesn't really fit with what we saw on screen.

Ent-C: Operating near the Klingon border in 2344.
Zhukov: Rendezvousing with the Ent-D to transfer a Vulcan ambassador.
Excalibur: Assigned to the tachyon detection grid.
Yamaguchi: Participated in the Wolf 359 battle.

None of these missions I would classify as "deep-space," nor would I infer that the class was made for deep-space exploration based solely on this.

And while your point was that all the "other" Ambassadors with these four exceptions were all away on deep-space missions, simply because we never saw much of them, then how do we explain the absence of the numerous other classes we only saw a few times or not at all?

Andromeda
Antares
Apollo
Bradbury
Centaur type
Challenger
Cheyenne
Chimera
Constellation
Curry type
Deneva
Freedom
Hokule'a
Istanbul
Korolev
Mediterranean
Merced
New Orleans
Niagara
Norway
Olympic
Renaissance
Rigel
Sequoia
Springfield
Surak
Wambundu
Yeager
Yorkshire
Zodiac

Where were all they during the DS9 fleet battles against the Dominion? Deep space as well?