View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 02:53 PM   #132
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Re: Into Darkness and the novelverse [SPOILERS]

Christopher wrote: View Post
Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
The existence of parallel realities does not necessitate parallel realities from time-travel.
No, but common sense does. The idea of one timeline "overwriting" or "replacing" another is silly if you think about it -- it requires a "before" and "after" version of a particular set of events, a particular span of time, and how can a single moment in time come after itself? If there are two or more different versions of a specific date or span of time, then by definition they coexist simultaneously. It may look to the time traveler as if one comes before the other, but that's just because the time traveler has gone back and experienced the same span of time again. The altered timeline subjectively appears to come "after" the original one, and thus the time traveler may perceive it as a "replacement" for the original, but as far as any objective observer of reality is concerned, the two versions of history exist at the same time, in parallel. A different timeline cannot be anything but a parallel timeline, regardless of how it was created.
I understand this. However, now I'm confused about DTI: Watching the Clock (It's been some time since I read that). Aren't Dulmur, Lucsly, Ducane, Daniels all trying to prevent some significant change made in the past by hostiles from wiping out the Federation or Borgifying the galaxy? If all changes to the past result in parallel timelines, then there's no need to worry right? Hence, my confusion.