View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 06:56 AM   #9
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Thinking of a new laptop? -- DON'T BUY HP (see why inside)

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I have loved my Acer laptops! My current Acer is an Intel Core i5 with Windows 7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. My brother got it for only $298.00 US... much less than upgrading my desktop to equivalent standards. He liked it so much, when we set it up, that he went out and bought another one for himself!
Good move! That's a heck of a deal. I have a Dell laptop here at home, though it's one I gave to my mom (she still can't walk, so can't access her old computer, which needed desperate upgrades anyway. It was a Pentium 4). My aunt bought herself a new one a couple of months back (which I setup Windows 8 on it... ugh), and I got to keep the "old" one as payment for setting up the new one.

So, I figured out what the problem was: a bad LED inverter, and backlight. I replaced them both for less than $40, easy as pie. So for $40, and 10 minutes of annoyance (I hate laptop screws), I was able to give my mom a perfectly functioning 3 year old Dell laptop, that looks brand new.

I don't have a laptop of my own. When it comes to mobile computing, I use a $35 Velocity Micro Cruz tablet. You can't play videos on it without it crashing, but it plays music, browses the web, runs the Kindle reader app, and I have a few games that work on it (nothing recent or modern, though). It's cheap, unstable, and sometimes slow, but it works for me.

Eventually, when I can justify it, I'll buy myself a tablet or a laptop. It will likely be an Acer, unless I come by a similar deal as the Dell.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote