View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 02:09 AM   #81
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Well said, stj.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
You don't think that global terrorism committed by a genetically enhanced mad man isn't, "socially relevant," today?
I haven't seen the second movie, but I certainly agree that is a socially relevant topic.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
You're distilling the characters and plots down to elements that fit your opinion. Its rather disingenuous. Especially referring to Uhura as " a bar babe who manipulates superior officers with sex" which isn't really supported by what was seen in the film and is the most salacious interpretation of what was seen.
Nevertheless, it's true and consistent with the re-imagining of the characters as corrupt parodies of the originals (with the exception of McCoy-- and Chekov, I suppose).
No its not. It's hyperbolic BS. If you think that a woman at a bar picking up drinks for a her friends, who is hit by a guy and uses humor and sarcasm to shut him down is a "bar babe". Then I think you might want to turn in your feminist card. Ditto, if you assume that a woman who has scored in the top of her class and expects a position commensurate with that, challenges the person who gives her a lesser position. Nothing in their exchange implies Uhura was manipulating Spock through sex. That you think so speaks to your opinion of women, which doesn't seem very positive. Get your mind out of that gutter in the 1950s.

You called Kirk a "delinquent loser". Not seeing that. Yeah Pike does refer to Kirk as "genius-level repeat offender". Key word is 'genius", not "offender". He also gets through the Academy in three yeasr and found a way to beat the Kobayashi Maru test. Is he all that different than Prime Kirk? The guy who was described a "not a Boy Scout" by his ex. Who also beat the Koyayashi Maru (Prime McCoy called it cheating). He regularly defied orders, pissed high level bureaucrat and gained a reputation as a "cowboy."

Scotty's a "loser" because he got a punishment assignment because a piss off an Admiral while trying prove an engineering theory he had? This is the guy who's Prime counterpart transported a herd of tribbles on to a Klingon ship (with out informing his CO), threw the first punch in a bar fight and sabotaged a Federation ship (to aid in the hijacking of another)

Spock is a psycho? Was Prime Spock a psycho when he suggested they kill Gary Mitchell? When he rigged a torpedo to kill Chang? When he hijacked the ship on several occasions. When he tried to kill his commanding officer, more than once? When he threatened to kill McCoy?

Star Trek (TOS in particular) has rarely dealt well with the repercussions of the events the crew has experienced. The laugh on the bridge scene that ends several episodes is a prime example of this. So your second point is a nonstarter.
The only situation analogous to this that I can think of is in "The Doomsday Machine," in which several solar systems were destroyed. I believe they were unknown or uninhabited, but, in any case, the events were not witnessed firsthand by the crew, nor did they attempt to save anyone and fail. Commodore Decker, who witnessed the death of his crew of 400 on one of those planets, was literally driven mad by grief and helplessness.
Operation: Annihilate! ends with this exchange:

Operation: Annihilate! wrote:
KIRK: Bones.
(Later.)
KIRK: Yeoman, record this for Starfleet Command.
ZAHRA: Ready, sir.
KIRK: The alien creatures on Deneva have been destroyed
ZAHRA: Captain, look. Mister Spock.
(Spock walks onto the Bridge, followed by McCoy.)
KIRK: Spock. You can see.
MCCOY: The blindness was temporary, Jim. There's something about his optical nerves which aren't the same as a human's.
SPOCK: An hereditary trait, Captain. The brightness of the Vulcan sun has caused the development of an inner eyelid, which acts as a shield against high-intensity light. Totally instinctive, Doctor. We tend to ignore it, as you ignore your own appendix.
KIRK: Mister Spock. Regaining eyesight would be an emotional experience for most. You, I presume, felt nothing?
SPOCK: Quite the contrary, Captain. I had a very strong reaction. My first sight was the face of Doctor McCoy bending over me.
MCCOY: 'Tis a pity your brief blindness did not increase your appreciation for beauty, Mister Spock.
KIRK: If you gentlemen are finished, would you mind laying in a course for Starbase Ten, Mister Spock?
SPOCK: My pleasure, Captain.
MCCOY: Unusual eye arrangement. I might've known he'd turn up with something like that.
KIRK: What's that, Doctor?
MCCOY: I said, please don't tell Spock I said he was the best first officer in the fleet.
SPOCK: Why, thank you, Doctor McCoy.
KIRK: You've been so concerned about his Vulcan eyes, Doctor, you forgot about his Vulcan ears. Ahead warp factor one, Mister Sulu.
SULU: Warp factor one, sir.
A bit light, considering that among the victims spread out over several star systems, are Kirk's brother and sister in law. ( and possibly his other nephews).
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote