View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 01:30 AM   #37
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Romulan commanders weren't evil because they were promoted. They were promoted because they were evil.
I doubt the Romulans would see it that way. And there are several instances of honorable men and women earning high-ranking positions within the Romulan military or government.

JirinPanthosa wrote:
Being ruthlessly cold and calculating, and absolutely loyal to your superiors and a government that worked solely for cultural expansion at the expense of civilian prosperity was the only way to get a high ranking government job. It was the sort of government where anybody who opposed the party got secretly disappeared.
I'm not sure the Romulans were interested in cultural expansion or conquest, at least not in the twenty fourth century. Rarely are they seen attempting to take territory away from an enemy. On the contrary, they adopt more of an isolationist stance, protecting their borders from outsiders. They even sign a non-aggression pact with the Dominion in order to avoid committing their military to war.

JirinPanthosa wrote:
The argument 'A Romulan's first duty is to the government' is the same as saying 'The CEO's first duty is to the shareholders'. It's technically correct but it doesn't excuse the immoral, harmful behavior it's invoked to justify.
Maybe not. I still don't see what that has to do with my admiration for certain aspects of their culture. No one has provided an answer to that question.

--Sran