View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 01:14 AM   #127
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Re: Into Darkness and the novelverse [SPOILERS]

Yes, Christopher, I also thought that Get Smart Again was far better than The Nude Bomb. And so, I believe, did Joey Green, author of The Get Smart Handbook.

As to ". . . no Shakespeare, . . ." and so forth, well, West Side Story is not a reboot of Romeo and Juliet; neither is The Magnificent Seven a reboot of The Seven Samaurai. it's an entirely different kind of reimagining, altogether.
(all together: "it's an entirely different kind of reimagining")
It's more along the lines of Benjamin Britten taking a single theme from Purcell's Abdelazer incidental score, and using it as the basis for a massive orchestral jam-session, following a series of variations with a fugue. Could The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra possibly be considered a "reboot" of Purcell's opus?

And while I don't have a problem with Disney's version of Cinderella, and actually prefer T. H. White's version of the Arthurian Legend (except why did he have to be so verbose!), those are single cohesive versions of stories from folklore, that lack any one authoritative canon, as opposed to, say, the Oz milieu, which has 14 canonical (albeit occasionally inconsistent) novels by a single author, and a whole lot of stuff that is non-canonical, and a fair amount that's actually anti-canonical.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote