View Single Post
Old June 12 2013, 12:59 AM   #53
Christopher
Writer

Re: TOS movie era Novels?

Jsplinis wrote: View Post
1. Michael J Feilding wasn't a regular writer for DC Vol.2 but he did contribute a few stories and was the regular writer of the TNG sister title. How well do his novels correspond to DC Vol. 2 continuity? They would be Legacy, My Brother's Keeper trilogy, Double Double, Faces of Fire, and Shadows on the Sun? Does My Brother's Keeper stay consistent with Kirks back story in "Starfleet Academy" or "Star Crossed"?
His name is Michael Jan Friedman. And no, his novels did not acknowledge comics continuity.

2. I read that Legacy has connections with Vulcan's Glory. To what extent and in what form?
The novel contains flashbacks to Spock's time under Pike's command. It reuses some of the crewmembers introduced in VG.

3. Christopher mentioned that his novel Forgotten History depicts the end of the 5-Year-Mission. How does this correspond with the version in "Star Crossed"
It does not. At this point there are, as far as I know, seven distinct versions of that event: The Lost Years, DC's Vol. 1 Annual 2, "Star-Crossed," my Ex Machina/Forgotten History version, the Crucible trilogy, a Strange New Worlds story, and IDW's Mission's End miniseries. My own is extrapolated from Icheb's report in VGR: "Q2" stating that Kirk saved the Pelosians from extinction (in a way that played fast and loose with the Prime Directive) shortly before the end of the mission. I interpreted it to be the very last adventure of the 5YM, though I've since recognized that Icheb's line doesn't unambiguously require that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote