View Single Post
Old June 11 2013, 11:03 PM   #122
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Re: Into Darkness and the novelverse [SPOILERS]

Hmm. All valid points, Christopher. Perhaps Sarek's well-known comment about Tellarites applies to me: I don't argue for reasons; I simply argue. And I grant that in Yesteryear, there could very well be a Spock whose sehlat died emerging into a timeline in which that sehlat is alive and well. Or in which it died of old age. And likewise, Crucible:McCoy is certainly appealing.

Part of my objections to the Abramsverse may come from my intense dislike of reboots and revisionism in general: in Disney's Return to Oz (which I generally liked), I groused as much about the nods to the 1939 MGM film of The Wizard of Oz as i did about things like Langwidere being conflated with Mombi. And don't get me started on Maguire's "heresies." (I'm still debating whether to get the DVD of the new Oz prequel movie.) Likewise, the 2008 Get Smart is entertaining, but would have been so much better if it had followed established canon, instead of being an outright reboot. (Even The Nude Bomb [with Max working for an agency called PITS, and no explanation of what happened to 99] was not entirely irreconcilable! And Terence Stamp's Siegfried even had a profoundly wrong accent, yet Bernie Kopell was obviously still alive and available [and even had a cameo].) And I don't think I've seen a new Bond film since the second one with Dalton.

At the same time, I also have an in-universe objection to the Abramsverse:
What happens when the Blastoneuron Plague hits Deneva? Would greenhorn-Kirk be able to stop it there? Is Sam even a Denevan resident in the Abramsverse? And what happens when V'GER comes home? Is a still-almost-brand-new Enterprise going to be hanging around Earth orbit, cleaning up after the heavy refit the Prime Enterprise needed after the combined wear-and-tear that April, Pike, and Kirk put on it? And then, what happens when a probe shows up in Earth orbit, trying to figure out why it lost contact with all the Humpback Whales? Is the Abramsverse Federation still viable? Will it survive long enough to produce its own Picard, Sisko, and Janeway?
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote