View Single Post
Old June 11 2013, 10:40 PM   #80
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
Re: J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

Well said, stj.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
You don't think that global terrorism committed by a genetically enhanced mad man isn't, "socially relevant," today?
I haven't seen the second movie, but I certainly agree that is a socially relevant topic.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
You're distilling the characters and plots down to elements that fit your opinion. Its rather disingenuous. Especially referring to Uhura as " a bar babe who manipulates superior officers with sex" which isn't really supported by what was seen in the film and is the most salacious interpretation of what was seen.
Nevertheless, it's true and consistent with the re-imagining of the characters as corrupt parodies of the originals (with the exception of McCoy-- and Chekov, I suppose).

Star Trek (TOS in particular) has rarely dealt well with the repercussions of the events the crew has experienced. The laugh on the bridge scene that ends several episodes is a prime example of this. So your second point is a nonstarter.
The only situation analogous to this that I can think of is in "The Doomsday Machine," in which several solar systems were destroyed. I believe they were unknown or uninhabited, but, in any case, the events were not witnessed firsthand by the crew, nor did they attempt to save anyone and fail. Commodore Decker, who witnessed the death of his crew of 400 on one of those planets, was literally driven mad by grief and helplessness.
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote