View Single Post
Old June 11 2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Been thinking its time to try Doctor Who

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
but they do still have historical shows, including stories about WW2, Agatha Christie, ancient Venice, etc.
Except all those episodes are really about the 'aliens'. The history, like the future periods, is just a backdrop.
That is what I suspected. I might like it for what it really is though.
If you're really interested in the Pure historicals, and have no problem with Black and White TV and the slower pacing of TV shows in that time period, check out William Hartnell's First Doctor Era, about 1/3 of his stories are purely Historical (Though only 4 of his Historical Stories exist complete - The Aztecs, The Romans, and The Gunfighters, plus Reign of Terror is missing 2 episodes, which were recently Animated). Troughton's Second Doctor, had an historical in his second Story, and then they were pretty much discontinued. Although, there are many stories with Aliens/Monsters being fought in historical settings, and many times that Antagonist is messing about with our history.

If you want to get into the Current show, yea, start with Eccelston's first Episode Rose or Matt Smith's first episode The 11th hour (New Show runner, who is still the current Showrunner, and Matt Smith is the current Doctor)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote