View Single Post
Old June 11 2013, 05:31 AM   #91
Shane Houston
Lieutenant Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

igrokbok wrote: View Post
"What exactly was the point of the Counselor?...

The same reason why TNG had a counselor. That this is a position that has a purpose. Remember, this is the first episode of STC. Who knows how this character will evolve. I have a feeling that since the actress is Vic's fiancee, she'll likely figure prominently... as counselor, advisor, etc."

Jim Kirk already has a "counselor/advisor etc ". His name is Leonard McCoy.
You know the counselor character wouldn't have bothered me, except that it seems from jump that this series is trying use to many TNG elements too quickly. You got both a holodeck scene and a counselor. Hell, you even got Marina Sirtis playing the computer voice.

If you're writing is strong, then relying on stunts like that aren't needed. The counselor character could have easily been a nurse but instead, as a nod to TNG, she was made a counselor. I don't mind nods to other series, as long as it's done in moderation.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote